Thursday 8 April 2021

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: I built it, nobody came, now what?

Ask HN: I built it, nobody came, now what?
37 by d--b | 57 comments on Hacker News.
Hi HN, I have built an application to scratch my own itch. It’s a tool that I had a need for in my day job for years. The problem it’s solving is a problem that I felt many people had too. But when I talked to people about it, most times it didn’t really click. So I thought “crap, they don’t get it, cause they don’t see it. Once I build it, they’ll get it”. I didn’t spend an awful lot of time on it. And I think the app is ok-ish for an MVP. Now I posted it here and there and sent it to a few people I know, but it doesnt seem good enough. I realize now the importance of having a broad reach. If I was someone like Mike Bostock, with a bunch of followers, I’d just post it to Twitter and voila. Someone said earlier on HN: building an MVP should include a distribution strategy. And I can feel that pain. Now distribution is something I have zero skills at. What should I do? There are a few things I could be doing, like: - get better at marketing, make a video for my target customers - try and build an audience through blogging and things of that nature - go and sell it to customers in real life. - try and find a co founder who would have the time and skills to do these things. - add more features to the MVP that people tell me are missing - create more documentation for the MVP, so that onboarding is smoother. What would have most impact in getting the app in front of people?

Previous Post
Next Post

post written by:

0 comments: