Wednesday 5 October 2022

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: What am I supposed after I’m “disrupted”? Work in video and CG

Ask HN: What am I supposed after I’m “disrupted”? Work in video and CG
44 by kranke155 | 31 comments on Hacker News.
I work in video / filmmaking / ads in London. Most of the work in this space is short form video for YouTube / Instagram and TV. Now I am seeing the video generating AI (imagen video from Google on the front page) and I’m 100% sure a good percentage of the work will vanish. There’s loads of work that ad agencies will just hire an AI prompt guy to generate for ads. Big companies will still make ads, of course, but smaller gigs that keep the whole industry afloat? What about even 10 million $ shots with CG characters that will now become commonplace? I’ve retrained before. I started off as an editor, then did VR video, now moved into CG. I’m pretty good at my job - I’ve worked on stuff for Dell and Apple, including stuff you’ve probably seen. It’s funny to think I might have to retrain yet again. I didn’t expect image generation AI to be the next big leap. I was already moving into more storytelling content (ie documentaries) because that’s more defensible against AI. But I expected 3-4 years before video generation would just come out. Now it seems like it’s happening so quickly I’m not sure they won’t have good stuff out in 6 months to a year. So - HN - what do I do now? And what about the other fellas in my industry who will be out of a job? In my estimate, we are talking about tens of thousands. To counter the obvious: I have learnt web dev at one point I thought I’d make the jump, even started learning React but I found the work to be mind numbing. I just love making images. But I feel like Pierre Auguste Renoir’s who was a plate painter in France and did a good living out of it - until the process was industrialised and he struggled (maybe for the rest of his life? I don’t quite recall). What do I do HN?

Previous Post
Next Post

post written by:

0 comments: