Wednesday 21 December 2022

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How to build F-You Skills

Ask HN: How to build F-You Skills
25 by lakevieew | 18 comments on Hacker News.
The past few months have been stressful for most people in the tech industry owing to mass layoffs everywhere. Luckily, I survived the layoffs at my company. But I was very anxious during the period it was announced and it affected my mental health quite a bit. However, on talking to a few other engineers at my company, I realized not everyone was as stressed. They are confident in their skills to get a new equivalent job which would easily support their current lifestyle, even in the current market. They have what I would call, "F-You Skills - Enough skills to know that you would never have to worry about money in your life", a spin on the more commonly known term "F-You Money" [1]. I was wondering if HN users ever think of their own skills in this context. If yes, how should one go about building these skills. To be clear, I am not talking about interviewing skills, which are also equally important. But I am more interested in technical skills that people believe will easily fetch them "decent money" [2] in any scenario in the short term future. [1] F-You Money means "Enough money to leave one's job, etc. and enjoy the lifestyle of one's choice" https://ift.tt/XinzIwY [2] not insane money to retire early, but good enough to support their current lifestyle.

Previous Post
Next Post

post written by:

0 comments: